Often times we get into a situation where you think things are gonna change, or for some magical fairy dust to start glittering on a situation to make it better, but in the end, there's no hope at all.
As a business owner, we've had to deal with these "blunders" or like the title says "bleeding jobs" that has no positive end in sight. You think after the first couple of times, we would learn from our mistakes. But habit gets in the way, or a promise of a better future. Nope, not getting political here.
Here are some things I've learned that I hope, you can learn from, so you can "stop bleeding jobs" that just bleeds you dry, and "just start reaping" from your honest to good work. These are just signs we have noticed that seem to be apparent in people who just like to keep you bleeding.
Signs That They Are Bad Clients - Bleeders:
- Employees Don't Hang Around - we see this a lot unfortunately, and they could be for various reasons. It could be just by chance, other opportunities, bad managing style, not enough pay, etc. You name it, they just can't seem to hang on to their workforce.
- Lying Becomes a Habit - when they admit to lying to you, that's probably a red flag. Its even worse, if you catch them in it, and you both just shove it under the rug.
- Customers Are a Running - everyone has them, and those that are simply questionable in their traits, like the previous point mentioned, don't seem to keep customers around.
- Scope Creep Galore - its when they keep asking for more than was agreed on or beyond the original scope. To them its understood and common, but to the parties involved, not so. Time and pay doesn't change, just the continuing rise of work & expectations.
- Your Time Has No Value - which relates to the previous, but in a scale of seriously not caring at all, on "how much time" you have actually put into something. It simply doesn't matter to them, as long as the job gets done, and that it doesn't cost them anything additional.
- Looking Like a Big Fish - not necessarily a bad thing, but noticeable in our experience, where these business owners always want to look bigger as a company than they really are.
- Pointy Finger - they are reluctant to take responsibility for any mishaps on their part, they will either share the blame, or put it all on you. Yeah, that's icing on the cake on a scope creep project.
- Bad Mouths Everyone - except the person they are with of course. Putting someone down is easy, when the other person is not there to defend themselves.
- Prying Critique - they not only love to critique or judge other people, they will pry on you personally, despite the fact that there is a plank in their own eye. Everything from what you eat, to how you exercise. They love sharing their infinite wisdom to the world.
- Corner Cutting - anywhere from hiring under-experienced workers to not paying or delaying payment to vendors. They will cut corners to pay themselves.
What to Look Forward To, By Firing Them:
- Better Work - there are many good people out there that if you do a good job, are actually decent. The bleeders are out there too, but I'd like to think there are more good ones.
- What Comes Around - goes around, despite the "bad mouthing" and the "prying critiques", people are smarter than you think, and truth is just around the corner.
- Vigor Returns - bad experiences can be stressful, so get ready to feel the weight come off your shoulders.
- Other Opportunities - when you are stressed, you get distracted, and you don't sometimes realize that there are other opportunities that are waiting for you in the corner.
- You Get Paid - for what you are worth. Yes, that can actually happen again, and its about time!
- Appreciation for Hard Work - is probably one of the best feelings you'll have in life, is knowing that your hard work is very much appreciated and the praises you deserve come your way.
- Sunny Days - are coming back, and your day just keeps getting brighter. You start loving your work again, and those around you, are glad that you did.
- Family Love - is where you'll notice that those closest to you, will start seeing the nice real you again. And they are super ecstatic you're back.